Critic in Residence 2020
We are pleased to continue the successful cooperation with VIENNA ART WEEK and to announce a three-week stay for an aspiring author as part of the Critic in Residence program of studio das weisse haus. In order to guarantee the realization of the residency according to the current requirements and guidelines in the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, the participation is restricted to neighbouring countries.
October 30 – November 21, 2020
Closing date for entries
August 18, 12 pm noon
Precisely because art journalism and criticism are one of the key features in the development of contemporary art, studio das weisse haus offers a residency program for international art journalists and critics to support their activities. By means of this program, we aim to strengthen an international exchange of critical thoughts and experiences from diverse national and regional art scenes.
The VIENNA ART WEEK sees itself as a joint platform of the Viennese art scene and is based on a worldwide unique cooperation of all Viennese art institutions, art universities, and galleries. With this year’s theme “LIVING RITUALS”, it offers a wide range of opportunities to explore the city’s extremely lively art scene from November 13 to 20, 2020 . The program highlights include exhibition openings, performances, exclusive tours, lectures, panels and the popular Open Studio Day.
About the program
With the aim of networking aspiring authors with the Viennese art scene, we offer the following support:
studio das weisse haus offers
- a rent-free accommodation (studio with bathroom and kitchenette)
- a rent-free working space in the studio community at Hegelgasse
- a one-time contribution to travel expenses up to 200 euros
- an allowance of 300 euros to cover basic living costs
VIENNA ART WEEK offers
- free access to all VAW venues and activities during the festival
- in site guidance for the festival’s projects and activities
- networking opportunities
- the publication of 3 blog posts written by the participant on this year´s motto “LIVING RITUALS”
- A written interview with one of our Studio Artists
- 3 blog articles (interview and / or exhibition review) which are rewarded with a fee of 100 euros and published on the website of VIENNA ART WEEK. The selection of the contributions will be organized in agreement with the participant.
This call for entries is solely addressed to authors based in neighbouring countries with excellent German and/or English skills. Applicants may work as authors and journalists or as curators and theorists with a strong focus on contemporary art. In case of interest, we kindly ask to submit the following documents latest by August 18, 2020, 12 pm noon at the following link: https://forms.gle/Nbu2scBy88uBeDKg9
- The fully completed application form including contact information and a short letter of motivation explaining which institutions you favor and why.
- A professional CV.
- Two writing samples in German or English of already existing texts (theme text or exhibition review from the years 2019/2020) with a maximum length of 10.000 characters (incl. blanks).
>>> In case you don’t have a gmail-account and can’t access the online form, please use this application form and return it together with the requested material as PDF.
All submissions received by August 18, 2020 that meet the aforementioned criteria will be reviewed by the team of studio das weisse haus and the VIENNA ART WEEK. The essential criteria for the evaluation of the writing samples are a clear style, as well as a good reasoning and a critical examination of the topic. Moreover, the motivation letter and the selected institutions will be taken into account. When applying, please also take into consideration, that we favor applicants who haven’t spent a long-term stay in Vienna previously. The decision will be announced latest on August 31, 2020 and all applicants will be informed personally about the results.
This years’ jury members are
Alexandra Grausam, Director das weisse haus / studio das weisse haus
Katja Stecher, Project manager studio das weisse haus
Barbara Wünsch, Project manager VIENNA ART WEEK 2019