Artist in Residence 2019
April 02 – May 26, 2019
January 10 – February 01, 2019
Deadline for submissions
February 01, 2019 at 12 am CET
The main goal of the residency is to promote an emerging artist and to facilitate a two-month stay in Vienna in combination with an exhibition in das weisse haus.
studio das weisse haus provides
- a rent-free accommodation (studio with bathroom and kitchenette)
- a rent-free working space in a shared studio
- a one-time contribution to travel expenses up to 200 euros for traveling within Europe, and 400 euros for traveling outside of Europe.
- a monthly allowance of 500 euros to cover basic living costs. We recommend to the candidates to look for additional funding.
- a one-time contribution of 500 euros to cover the production costs of the proposed project.
- the presentation of the proposed project in das weisse haus. The opening is scheduled between April 8 – April 12, 2019. The exhibition will be on display until May 18, 2019.
- the possibility for a public discussion as part of the monthly series “Wednesday with…” on April 24, 2019, 7 pm.
- a varied program with exhibition and studio visits
- ongoing support by the staff of studio das weisse haus.
This call is addressed to international artists who work in the field of installation in combination with sound, video and performance art. The main selection criteria will be the proposed exhibition concept. Please find enclosed the floorplan and spatial views of das weisse haus.
The initial concept for the circular exhibition space in das weisse haus should focus on the idea of a vivid space that changes throughout the duration of the exhibition. Therefore the presentation may also have a discursive, site-specific and/or participatory format. In addition, the exhibition should relate to current topics, addressing socio-political issues, questioning curatorial practices, or dealing with participatory processes.
Please take into consideration that the set-up of the installation will start right after the arrival on April 03, 2019. The opening is scheduled between
April 8 – April 12, 2019. The exhibition will be run until May 18, 2019. Parallel to this presentation, the exhibition “Parallex Trading – contemporary art practices in Austria and Japan” will be on display in das weisse haus, which is organized on the occasion of 150 years of diplomatic relations between Austria and Japan.
studio das weisse haus favours project proposals that
- meet its general objectives.
- ensure high quality and clarity.
- relate to the concept of an exhibition as a vivid, transforming space and therefore, focus on a critical practice beyond the traditional format of the art exhibition.
- aim to explore ways for people to engage and interact with art.
Artists, who would like to be considered as candidates, are asked to submit the following documents (max. 5 MB) exclusively in digital form (PDF./doc.) to: email@example.com
- The fully completed application form. [download]
- A professional CV detailing recent projects, exhibitions, workshops and residencies (max. 2 Din A4 pages).
- A portfolio including samples of your work and realized projects of the past five years. If you are working with new media/video, please send us up to 5 links.
- An initial concept for the exhibition in das weisse haus including
Project Description (max. 1 Din A 4 page)
Floorplan sketch of the proposed project
Images of the works on display [download exhibition space and floorplan]
List of needed material and equipment. (Please note, that das weisse haus will provide basic technical equipment such as projectors, media players, TVs, cabels, … . In addition, the insitution will take care of promoting the invitation and the opening.)
When applying, please also take into consideration, that we favour artists who haven`t spent a long-term stay in Vienna previously.
In case of questions, please contact: Katja Stecher, firstname.lastname@example.org
All submissions that meet the aforementioned criteria and arrive not later than February 01, 2019 will be reviewed by a board of experts on February 14, 2019. This years’ jury members are:
- Alexandra Grausam, Director of das weisse haus // studio das weisse haus
- Gabriele Schober, Director Bäckerstrasse4 (tob e confirmed)
- Katja Stecher, Project coordinator tudio das weisse haus
- Karl Salzmann, Artist
- Alexandra-Maria Toth, Journalist Collectors Agenda
The finalist artist will be announced on February 16, 2019.